Best Antivirus and Internet Security Software for Mac 2018
Even the best-operating systems need protection and there’s no better way to protect yourself than by installing the best Antivirus for Mac.
Viruses do Exist on Mac Computers
Many Mac users are oblivious to the fact that their computers are now nearly as vulnerable as Windows PCs.
In 2017, there was a staggering 220% increase in malware infections on Mac computers and iOS devices. The main reason is that most many Mac owners don’t bother to protect their computers.
This gives hackers an open season on Macs and sometimes it can take months or even years for developers to create a fix. One of the most invasive spyware programs, Fruitfly, plagued Mac users for years before Apple finally patched it earlier this year.
The apathy of Mac users has resulted in hackers now targeting Mac and iOS devices and the number of virus and malware programs will continue to rise at a staggering rate. That is why it is crucial that you install antivirus for iOS. It is the best way to protect your Mac and keep your vital personal data safe.
How We Assess Antivirus Software for Mac
We conduct extensive reviews of each program we recommend to ensure you get maximum protection for the best value. When reviewing antivirus for Mac, we look at the following factors:
- Price. We compare the cost of the antivirus software against other comparable programs and also inform you of any special offers.
- Scanning and Detection Tools. We check each program to see if it offers the latest scanning and protection tools and how it identifies and tracks zero-day infections.
- Virus and Malware Protection. Each program is tested with common malware, spyware, adware, and Ransomware files to ensure the program’s definitions database is up to date.
- Firewall Protection. If a program offers firewall protection, we give details on the level of protection.
- Additional Features. The best antivirus for Mac should have value-added features such as background monitoring, phishing protection, safe web browsing, gaming protection and parental controls.
- Money Back Guarantee. If the program offers a money back guarantee, we give full details including any special terms.
- Customer Support. We interact with each program’s customer support to test response time and knowledge levels to ensure you get help when you need it.
What You Will Get With the Best Antivirus for Mac
When you install antivirus on Apple devices, you’ll enjoy an enhanced level of protection along with the following benefits:
Complete Protection Against Known Cyber Threats. A good Antivirus for Mac will give you complete protection against known viruses, malware, spyware, adware, and Ransomware attacks. With enhanced firewall protection it can even protect against DDoS attacks.
Protection Against Zero-Day Threats. Antivirus can protect you from new cyber threats, AKA zero-day infections. If the program detects an unknown file or link exhibiting strange behavior, a copy is sent to a virus lab. If it is indeed a malicious file, an update is then distributed to your computer and anyone else using the antivirus program globally.
Constant Background Monitoring. Antivirus for Apple programs constantly run in the background and monitor all incoming data traffic. This is to catch malicious files and code before they are even fully downloaded onto your computer or iPhone.
Safe Web Browsing and Phishing Protection. The best antivirus for Mac provides comprehensive web protection. It monitors all websites for malicious code and blocks it from being executed. Antivirus also monitors your emails and web links for potential phishing activity and blocks those as well.
Protect Your Family on Social Media. Hackers often target social media sites like Facebook and Twitter with phishing, spyware, or malware links. Antivirus for mac actively scans all social media platforms and blocks any potentially harmful code or links from executing.
Protect Your Devices Over Wi-Fi. Public Wi-Fi is one of the biggest risks of hacking and malware infections, even for Macs and iPhones. Most antivirus programs include Wi-Fi protection that monitors all Wi-Fi traffic and prevents your device from being attacked over a public network.
Protect Your Files Locally and on the Cloud. Antivirus for iOS not only actively scans your computer files for cyber threats but it also actively monitors files from the cloud. It can scan any cloud server or folder you have access to and block infections at the source.
Best Antivirus Software for Mac
While Macs are more secure than standard PC, they still have some serious vulnerabilities. In addition, hackers are beginning to target Macs more because many Mac users are unaware of potential threats and don’t take the proper steps to protect themselves.
We put our computers at risk every day, most of the time without knowing it. That funny link that your friend just sent may have a backdoor Trojan that can let someone hijack your computer. Remember that free Wi-Fi you used at the airport on your last business trip? A hacker may have installed malware on your computer and is now collecting your personal and business information to sell to the highest bidder.